Monday, June 27, 2016

Matariki

In Totara hub we have learning how to celebrate Matariki in a variety of different ways.


The names of the Matariki stars names are Tupu-a-nuku,Tupu-a-rangi, Waiti, Waita, Waipuna-a-rangi and Ururangi. Also Matariki is the time to harvest and plant crops and plants for kai and hangi. Matariki is also time for people to go fishing and gather kaimoana. It's also a good time to make and fly kites. People celebrate matariki in lots of different each having a special meaning to the family or person.

I am proud of my painting because it represents one of the stars really well.


We also made puti puti out of flax or Hareke. Here is the link to a tutorial on how to make a puti puti or a rose.
The learning muscle I was stretching while I was making my stone painting was my perseverance muscled because I had to restart a few times to get the painting right and the star in the right place.

click to see how to make puti puti

Here is a photo of my puti puti or rose.



Maori hand games
One day after Matariki day we had some people come in from the Kahurangi Dance Company to teach us some maori hand games such as knuckle bones and hey tuma tu tuma.
Knucklebones
knucklebones was a popular maori game for kids and adults and they look a bit like this


One of the ways to play knuckle bones is by placing your hand on the ground and grab four of your knuckle bones and make a square that goes around your hand. With the fifth knuckle bone place it in the palm of your hand throw the knuckle bone that is in your hand up in the air and grab off the ground and catch the knuckle bone in the air then throw the knuckle bone in the air again place the one you picked off the ground in the center then catch the one that you threw in the air keep doing this until all of the knuckle bones are in the center. I really had to use my perseverance muscle when playing knuckle bones.  

Here is a photo off me playing knuckle bones.







No comments:

Post a Comment